© Toate drepturile rezervate. Nu aveti dreptul de a copia sau folosi nici una din fotografii fara acceptul scris al fotografului.
© All rights reserved. Don`t copy or use the images from the website.
Few images from the We are Ontario mass rally from Queen`s Park.
Premier McGuinty put banker Don Drummond in charge of recommending nearly 400 cuts to jobs and public services in Ontario. At a time when Ontarians are in desperate need of economic recovery, these cuts will jeopardize every aspect of society: from health care to full-day kindergarten to pensions. No public service is safe.
Few images from the Saint Patrick`s Parade, 2012, Toronto
The procession, which included floats, pipe bands and dancers, made its way through the Downtown Toronto. Saint Patrick’s Day has come to be associated with everything Irish: anything green and gold, shamrocks and luck and also it is a traditional day for spiritual renewal and offering prayers for missionaries worldwide.
Few images from the 2012 Toronto Autoshow.
The Canadian International Auto Show launched Friday, February 17 at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre and runs until Feb. 26. More than 300,000 visitors are expected over the 10 days of the show, which features more than 125 exhibitors and about 1,000 cars and trucks, show promoters say. The attractions include some of the most advanced automotive technology in the world, ranging from the latest electric minicars to a 16-cylinder Bugatti Veyron with about 1,000 horsepower and a potential speed of more than 400 km/h. Dozens of new production vehicles and imaginative concept models are making their Canadian debut at the show, everything from a new Acura NSX supercar to a reborn Volkswagen microbus with an electric motor. An Eco-Drive Showcase features state-of-the-art energy efficient designs — electric, clean diesel, hybrids and the latest thinking in more conventional engine technology as well.
St. James United Church is a National Historic Site of canada and part of Quebec`s religious heritage. It traces its beginnings to the seven members of the Montreal`s first Methodist congregation formed in 1803. The Methodist began as a reform movement within the Anglican Church.
The present building is the congregation`s fourth home. it was built in 1887-1888 after the congregation decided to move uptown from St. James Street. At the time of construction, it was the largest Methodist church in Canada with seating for 2.500. The exterior is a Victorian gothic image of a french cathedral.
The interior is designed in the Akron style, popular with North American Presbyterians, Baptists and methodist in the late 19th centyry. The church sheltered soldiers en route to Europe in the two world wars and Montreal had its official inter-faith memorial service at St. James for the September 2001 attack on the World Trade Center in New York. The congregation hosts a variety of outreach programs for the homeless, the elderly, and the poor. It offers a home to several social organizations and choral ensembles.
The Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Chapel is a church in the district of Old Montreal in Montreal, Quebec. One of the oldest churches in Montreal, it was built in 1771 over the ruins of an earlier chapel. St. Marguerite Bourgeoys, the first teacher in the colony of Ville-Marie and the founder of the Congregation of Notre Dame, rallied the colonists to build a chapel in 1655. In 1673, returning from France, Bourgeoys brought a wooden image of Our Lady of Good Help; the stone church was completed in 1678. It burned in 1754, the reliquary and statue being rescued. After Montreal was conquered by British forces during the French and Indian War, the church was attended by Irish and Scottish troops and families, and saw fundraising to build Saint Patrick’s Church, Montreal’s first anglophone Catholic parish. In the 19th century, the chapel came to be a pilgrimage site for the sailors who arrived in the Old Port of Montreal; they would make offerings to the Virgin in gratitude for her “good help” for safe sea voyages. In 1849, Mgr. Ignace Bourget, Bishop of Montreal, gave the chapel a statue of the Virgin as Star of the Sea, which was placed atop the church overlooking the harbour. Emphasizing the connection of the chapel and the port, the chapel is often called the Sailors’ Church. The chapel now also houses the Marguerite Bourgeoys Museum, dedicated to the life of St. Marguerite Bourgeoys and to the early history of Montreal and the chapel site. Below the chapel, the crypt is being excavated as an archeological site, which visitors can see. First Nations and French colonial artifacts have been discovered, along with the foundations of the first chapel and the fortifications of the colony. The church’s prominent spire can also be climbed, offering views of the Old Port and Saint Lawrence River. In 2005, Marguerite Bourgeoys’s mortal remains were brought back to the church, where she now lies in the sanctuary.
Quebec City is the capital of the Canadian province of Quebec and is located within the Capitale-Nationale region. It is the second most populous city in Quebec after Montreal, which is about 233 kilometres (145 mi) to the southwest. As of the 2006 Canadian Census, the city has a population of 491,142, and the metropolitan area has a population of 715,515. The narrowing of the Saint Lawrence River approximate to the city’s promontory, Cap-Diamant (Cape Diamond), and Lévis, on the opposite bank, provided the name given to the city, Kébec, an Algonquin word meaning “where the river narrows”. Founded in 1608 by Samuel de Champlain, Quebec City is one of the oldest cities in North America. The ramparts surrounding Old Quebec (Vieux-Québec) are the only remaining fortified city walls that still exist in the Americas north of Mexico, and were declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1985 as the ‘Historic District of Old Québec’. The city is a major cultural centre of the French-speaking world, as well as an important tourist destination. Various festivals are held annually including the Summer Festival, and Winter Carnival. The city’s most famous landmark is the Château Frontenac, a hotel which dominates the skyline. The National Assembly of Quebec, the Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec (National Gallery of Quebec), and the Musée de la civilisation (Museum of Civilization) are found within or near Vieux-Québec. Quebec City is one of the oldest European settlements in North America. While many of the major cities in Mexico date from the sixteenth century, among cities in Canada and the U.S.A. only St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador; Harbour Grace, Newfoundland and Labrador; Port Royal, Nova Scotia; St. Augustine, Florida; Santa Fe, New Mexico; Jamestown, Virginia; and Tadoussac, Quebec were created earlier than Quebec City. Quebec was founded by Samuel de Champlain, a French explorer and diplomat on July 3, 1608, and at the site of a long abandoned St. Lawrence Iroquoian settlement called Stadacona. Champlain, also called “The Father of New France”, served as its administrator for the rest of his life. Throughout its over four hundred years of existence, Quebec City has served as a capital. From 1608 to 1627 and 1632 to 1763, it was capital of French Canada and all of New France; from 1763 to 1791, it was the capital of the Province of Quebec; from 1791 to 1841, it was the capital of Lower Canada; from 1852 to 1856 and from 1859 to 1866, it was capital of the Province of Canada; and since 1867, it has been capital of the Province of Quebec. The administrative region in which Quebec City is situated is officially referred to as Capitale-Nationale and the term “national capital” is used to refer to Quebec City itself at provincial level.
Old Montreal (French: Vieux-Montréal) is the oldest area in the city of Montreal, Quebec, Canada, dating back to New France. Located in the borough of Ville-Marie, the area is bordered on the west by McGill St., on the north by Ruelle des Fortifications, on the east by Berri St. and on the south by the Saint Lawrence River. Following recent amendments, the district has been expanded slightly to include the rue des Soeurs Grises in the west, Saint Antoine St. in the north and Saint Hubert Street in the east. It also includes the Old Port of Montreal. Most of Old Montreal was declared an historic district in 1964 by the Ministère des Affaires culturelles du Québec.
Notre-Dame Basilica ( Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal) is a basilica in the historic district of Old Montreal, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The church is located at 110 Notre-Dame Street West, at the corner of Saint Sulpice Street. It is located next to the Saint-Sulpice Seminary and faces the Place d’Armes square.
The church’s Gothic Revival architecture is among the most dramatic in the world; its interior is grand and colourful, its ceiling is coloured deep blue and decorated with golden stars, and the rest of the sanctuary is a polychrome of blues, azures, reds, purples, silver, and gold. It is filled with hundreds of intricate wooden carvings and several religious statues. Unusual for a church, the stained glass windows along the walls of the sanctuary do not depict biblical scenes, but rather scenes from the religious history of Montreal. It also has a Casavant Frères pipe organ, which comprises four keyboards, 97 stops, over 9000 individual pipes and a pedal board.
In 1657, the Roman Catholic Sulpician Order arrived in Ville-Marie, now known as Montreal; six years later the seigneury of the island was vested in them. They ruled until 1840. The parish they founded was dedicated to the Holy Name of Mary, and the parish church of Notre-Dame was built on the site in 1672. The church served as the first cathedral of the Diocese of Montreal from 1821 to 1822.
By 1824 the congregation had completely outgrown the church, and James O’Donnell, an Irish-American Protestant from New York, was commissioned to design the new building. O’Donnell was a proponent of the Gothic Revival architectural movement, and designed the church as such. He is the only person buried in the church’s crypt. O’Donnell converted to Catholicism on his deathbed perhaps due to the realization that he might not be allowed to be buried in his church.
The main construction work took place between 1824 and 1829. The sanctuary was finished in 1830, and the first tower in 1841, the second in 1843. On its completion, the church was the largest in North America. A new pipe organ was built in 1858 by Samuel Russell Warren.
The interior took much longer, and Victor Bourgeau, who also worked on Montreal’s Mary, Queen of the World Cathedral, worked on it from 1872 to 1879. Stonemason John Redpath was a major participant in the construction of the Basilica.
Because of the splendour and grand scale of the church, a more intimate chapel, Chapelle du Sacré-Cœur (Chapel of the Sacred Heart), was built behind it, along with some offices and a sacristy. It was completed in 1888. In 1886 Casavant Frères began building a new 32-foot pipe organ at the church, completing it in 1891. It was notably the first organ with adjustable-combination pedals to be operated by electricity.
Shawn Desman, is a Canadian pop/R&B singer. With an accomplished career including a platinum debut album, a sophomore Juno Award winning album for Best R&B/Soul Recording, chart-topping singles and videos, movie performances and numerous accolades under his belt, singer, dancer, actor, songwriter and producer Shawn Desman is launching his highly anticipated new album. And it’s undeniable that Desman’s third highly anticipated album “Fresh” represents a tremendous progression of his career.
Electric/ Night Like This has been nominated for FOUR awards at Much Music Video Awards, tonight, June 19/2011. They include ‘Video of the Year’, ‘Director of the Year’, ‘Pop Video of the Year’ and ‘Ur Fave Video’.
Over 200,000 Portuguese Canadians who live in Toronto celebrate by holding a multitude of events surrounding the June 10 date. The week-long festival culminates with the Portugal Day Parade on Dundas Street, in the areas knowns as Little Portugal. The parade ends near Trinity Bellwoods Park, where concerts, cultural events and various other activities take place. The Portugal Day Parade is Toronto’s third largest street festival.
Chinatown ( 多倫多華埠) is an ethnic enclave in Downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada, with a high concentration of ethnic Chinese residents and businesses extending along Dundas Street West and Spadina Avenue. First developed in the late 19th century, it is now one of the largest Chinatowns in North America and one of several major Chinese-Canadian communities in the Greater Toronto Area. There are approximately six Chinatowns in Greater Toronto, including in the cities of Markham and Mississauga.
Toronto’s Chinatown is one of the largest in North America. It is centred on the intersection of Dundas Street West and Spadina Avenue, and extends outward from this point along both streets. With the population changes of recent decades, it has come to reflect a diverse set of East Asian cultures through its shops and restaurants, including Chinese, Vietnamese, and Thai. The major Chinese malls in the area are Dragon City and Chinatown Centre.
Benjamin Sinclair “Ben” Johnson, CM (born December 30, 1961), is a former sprinter from Canada, who enjoyed a high-profile career during most of the 1980s, winning two Olympic bronze medals and an Olympic gold, which was subsequently rescinded. He set consecutive 100 metres world records at the 1987 World Championships in Athletics and the 1988 Summer Olympics, but he was disqualified for doping, losing the Olympic title and both records.
Toronto’s Old City Hall was home to its city council from 1899 to 1966 and remains one of the city’s most prominent structures. It is at the corner of Queen and Bay Streets, east of the new City Hall in the centre of downtown Toronto. It has a distinctive clock tower which heads the length of Bay Street from Front St. to Queen.
Old City Hall was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1984.
Work on the Romanesque Revival building designed by E.J. Lennox began in 1889. It was constructed of sandstone from the Credit River valley, grey stone from the Orangeville area, and brown stone from New Brunswick. The rugged, towering façade is cliff-like.